Efficient energy management helps organizations reduce operating costs as well as conserve resources, thus contributing towards mitigation of climate change impacts from its businesses. ISO 50001 supports organizations in all sectors to use energy more efficiently through the development of an energy management system (EnMS). This makes it easier for organizations to integrate energy management into their overall efforts to improve quality and environmental impacts from their business operations. Use of ISO 50001 helps organizations formulate a management policy for more efficient use of energy and fix targets and objectives to meet the policy requirements. EnMS standard aims to help organizations to curtail their energy use and, therefore, their energy costs and their greenhouse gas emissions. Organizations currently certified according to ISO 50001:2011 will need to transit to the new standard ISO 50001:2018 within a given timeline as per transition policy in order to maintain the validity of the certification.
Why ISO 50001: 2018 Certification?
ISO 50001 provides a business opportunity to achieve greater transparency and improved practices in energy management system. Adoption of EnMS specifies how energy consumption within an organization could be efficiently reduced throughout their value chain by minimizing unnecessary losses.EnMs can be beneficial to an organization in several ways, such as:
- Direct quantifiable cost benefits to organizations.
- Greater transparency and identification and promotion of best practices in energy management.
- Credible external visibility of energy-saving actions.
- Regulated energy risks concerning possible impacts with improved energy management systems within an organization
- The reduced carbon footprint of an organization through a reduction in energy consumption patterns